Since we are born with a pair of eyes, we take them for granted as we do for our other body parts.Those with normal, clear vision do not realize the pain of losing sight or being deprived of vision from birth. Have you given a thought, how often we use this sense throughout a day or all through our life? Despite eyesight being our most treasured of senses, we don’t take enough care of it. This results in various eye disorders and problems.
The common problems of eye are:
- Refractive errors
- Clouding of lenses or Cataracts
- Damage to the optic nerve or Glaucoma
- Retinal disorders like Retinal tears or Retinal Detachment.
- Macular degeneration or deterioration of the retinal center. Diabetic eye problems
- Conjunctivitis or Pinkeye
We all know, that prevention is better than cure.So instead of worrying about the treatment, it is safer and wiser to look for methods so that your eyes are not affected and you enjoy a good vision throughout your life.
Here are five easy tips for protecting your eyes :
- Eat right, Protect sight :
This should be the basic ‘mantra’ of your eye care regime. Control your insulin level by following a diabetic diet, in case your are a diabetic.
Some food that are rich in antioxidants and nutrients needed to protect your vision are :
1. Sweet potatoes , spinach, kale , that are rich in beta carotene, vitamin C and lutein.
2. Cold-water fish like salmon, tuna and other oily fish which contain Omega-3 fatty acids.
3. Eggs, nuts, beans, and other non-meat protein are again rich sources of Omega 3s
4. Oranges and other citrus fruits or juices which too contain high level of antioxidants and Vitamin C .
- Wear to protect :
Wearing protective eye wears prevents the risk of any external eye injuries.
- Quit for safety:
Quit smoking or never start at all. Smoking has been linked to macular degeneration,cataract, and nerves damage, all of which can lead to blindness.
- Check and find:
Get your eyes checked regularly. Get an appointment with an ophthalmologist, every couple of years, and more frequently if you are above 40. Let him know your families, eye history, learn exercises from him and use corrective lenses in case you need them.
- Follow the 20-20-20 rule.
Staring at your computer causes strain to your eyes which in turn causes dry eyes, blurry vision, and headaches.Follow the rule of looking away from your computer every 20 minutes , look 20 feet in front of you for 20 second