The choice of a doctor or a surgeon depends mostly on two factors – what your exact medical requirements are and what your budget is, that is, how much you can spend for the treatment. Though cataract surgeries are among the most successful ones among all surgeries, yet, the choice of a cataract surgeon determines how comfortable the entire procedure will be, how expensive it will be, what kind of lens will be used and much more. Here are a few things you should think about before finalising on a surgeon:
- Referrals from your doctor – Ask your family doctor or your regular eye doctor about a surgeon. They are most likely to suggest someone who will fit your needs and budget both.
- Referrals from your friend and family – It is best to take advice and suggestions from someone who has gone through a similar surgery. Nothing like finding someone who has gone through a cataract surgery themselves or knows someone who has. Your friends and family will be able to tell you exactly which cataract specialist you should go to and to whom you should not.
- Check membership and experience – Your eye is probably the most delicate organ in your body, right after your brain. Thus, if you are going for a surgery, you need a cataract surgeon who knows what he is going to do. To ensure this, you need someone who is experienced. Check online for licences, membership and list of medical associations he is tied up with to get an idea about his or her reputation and capabilities.
You also need to know the following:
- Whether the surgeon’s staff is friendly and willing to answer your queries
- Whether the surgeon is patient and willing to explain the procedure and answer other questions if any
- Whether you will be told about the options of lenses and other aspects of the procedure that you have and the repercussions of each choice
Apart from these, you must also find out details about the surgical centre. Whether they maintain clarity about billings and explain charges to you and/or family members is something very important. Eye infections are also gotten from surgical centres and thus you must see reviews online and from people you know to understand how hygienic the place is. A good cataract surgeon will himself or through his staff give out documents to you explaining the procedure and help you become prepared for it.